Thursday, July 16, 2009

It's like, how many babies, you know, fit in the tire? You know, that old joke.

Our final dress was last night.  We all took a big step forward, and I think we are poised to take another big step forward on opening night.  There were about 20 kids in the audience who couldn't have cared less about what we were doing.  They started a coughing competition during 'Deh Vieni' and got annoyed when I started singing to them and pointing at them in 'Aprite.'  Note to self: kids don't like being pointed at.  

Having sung this role three times in as many months, I've learned a thing or two.  Last night I was still a little vocally fried after having sung the whole opera twice on Monday.  My approach in these times of crisis has shifted radically as of late.  Whereas before I would just continue to bluster and try to vocally act my way through, getting by on charm, this time I brought it all in.  What does that mean, you ask?  Um....I don't know.  I just brought it in.  I was a little more contained.  My vocal attacks were a little less aggressive, perhaps, but the volume and resonance were not diminished.  In fact, they were probably enhanced.  In a weird way, it feels like I'm singing in instead of singing out (this isn't inward singing a la Tenacious D- I mastered that years ago!).  

I'm rambling and not making sense.  The long and short of it is I'm yelling less and singing more.  And that ain't a bad thing.  At all.  It feels good, in fact.  And I think it bodes well for my upcoming foray into Rossini's Figaro.  

AW

No comments:

Post a Comment