Friday, January 15, 2010

my hair is.....AWESOME


We had a photo shoot today with full costume and hair. The costumes, designed by Carol Blanchard, are really stunning late 18th-century clothes. They look like something right out of Masterpiece Theatre. But my hair (all my own, I might add, with the exception of some glued-on sideburns) is something to behold, and should really have its own show (or at least its own aria). As our makeup artist was styling it, I looked in the mirror and thought, "Holy smokes, I look like Tom Baker-era Doctor Who."

Who's that, you ask?

When I get a look at the actual photos, I'll post 'em.

After the shoot, we had a review of Act III, and tonight we forged ahead into Act IV. I'm having a hard time letting go of the R & T translation on my Act IV aria. I actually like the Porter translation better, but heck if that catchy Martin translation isn't stuck to the roof of my brain like a goll dang wad of peanut butter. What's cool, though, is I storm on stage with the Count's hunting rifle during the accompanied recit before my aria. It is pretty badass. I may have to throw it into my bag of tricks to steal for next time (hoping there is a next time....yikes. I keep forgetting this is the last Fig in my 'year').

To try to get rid of the residual gunk from my cold, I paid my first visit to an acupuncturist. She was fantastic. The treatment was wild- needles in my face, the bridge of my nose, my hands and arms, plus some herbal supplements. I felt some instant, well, something as soon as the needles went in. I don't know if it was relief, chi, or what, but it was something. We'll see how it goes. I may go in for a followup. She also told me to try to limit mucus-producing foods, the biggest three being Dairy (not a problem, oh wait, cheese...d'oh!), Sugar (not a problem except for the revolving door of sweets that go through our green room.... d'oh!), and Gluten (pasta, bread, beer, basically everything I love.... D'OH). I'm going to try to go gluten-free (or at least gluten-lite) for a bit and see what happens. Let me know if you know any yummy gluten-free foods.

Tomorrow we finish staging this little skit. heaven help us. It's a long song.

AW

1 comment:

  1. I'm a young singer who has asthma, and I meticulously followed the no sugar, no dairy, and no wheat diet for about a year. It's a miracle!! My singing improved so much. It's a pain (especially the first two weeks), but it is so worth it. I did crave the bread texture a lot, but I found some applesauce-based substitutes. And if you have to cheat on anything, bread is the least deadly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete