Tuesday, January 12, 2010

waxing nostalgic


We're scheduled to stage the Act III sextet tonight- always a highlight. It's such gorgeous music and it's always a hoot.

The sextet was the very first chunk of opera I ever learned. I was 18 years old and in Opera Workshop class at the University of Minnesota Duluth. Needless to say I didn't know shinola from, well, you know, but I had a blast, and the fun I had in that scene was the best intro to opera I ever could have had. I realized that Opera and Musical Theatre were two sides of the same coin, and that Opera could be (and often is) mired in fun and silliness. I still remember rehearsing the Susanna/Figaro hug & twirl at the end of the number about a million times, trying desperately not to make it look lame and stagey, which, ultimately, it did.

I was able to repeat that silliness a few years later in my first full production of Marriage at UMD, and I'm about to do it for the 8th time (10th if you count a stint as Antonio and a Count cover) in Milwaukee.

Have I learned anything in all that time? I'd like to think so. What's different about doing it now as opposed to when I was a teenager? Tons.

Actually, with this stupid cold, there are times when I probably sound like that sucky 18-year-old. Oof.

AW

No comments:

Post a Comment